Thursday, August 20, 2020

Weekend Report: Heat and Freak Thunderstorm



Written on Tuesday morning. 


We survived a 5-day “weekend” with two kids. M’s preschool was closed Wednesday through Friday last week, and so we were with a willful 3-year-old and a colicky 2-month-old for five days. Oh, and there was a heat wave throughout the five days and a THUNDERSTORM Saturday night through Sunday morning. We didn’t have AC and the thunder and lightening kept us up, though miraculously the kids slept through it. Plus COVID. 

By Sunday night, we were pretty exhausted and demoralized. M was being very clingy with me, clearly due to some jealousy, and very mean to her dad. This behavior is exhausting for me, hurtful for O, and sad for both of us. Hopefully it’s temporary. 



Tevas and a mask


Coyote Point in San Mateo


She played in the gutter for about 15 minutes and could've continued if I allowed her



Insisted on wearing her mask

Everyone including M was super excited for her to go to preschool on Monday. Even Y took a really good nap yesterday afternoon (almost 3 hours) to celebrate. 

Today I tried to put Y on some sort of flexible schedule and also tried a minor amount of sleep training for naps. My efforts were a total failure. He’s eaten every two hours or even more frequently, and slept less than necessary, so he’s probably overtired. But at least I haven’t carried him in the Ergo today, which is good because we’ve all become dependent on it for his naps and using it as a sleep crutch is becoming unsustainable since he’s quite heavy now. 


So sweet


Currently he’s sleeping on my chest as I write this. It’s peaceful and I will remember moments of this with partial fondness, I think. Oh, and we got an old portable AC unit from my dad, so now I’m my bedroom is cool and comfortable. Fingers crossed that we won’t be affected by the rolling blackouts that may occur on California this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment