Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Baby Y is 10 weeks old



 I can’t decide whether the last 10 weeks have moved quickly or slowly. There’s a huge divide between the pre-Y times and now, but I feel like the time since his birth flew by more quickly than M’s first 10 weeks. Maybe because he didn’t scream nearly as much as she did. 


When I’m tired or frustrated or both, I find myself wanting to move to the next stage (sleep training, milestones like sitting up and talking, even going back to work). But when he’s smiling at me or sleeping like the sweetest angel, I want to freeze time and extend these moments as long as possible. After this, I’ll never have another newborn, and thinking about it makes me both sad and relieved. I’m guessing all these thoughts and emotions are fairly typical. 

Anyway, what’s Baby Y like at 10 weeks?
  • He’s got very good head control and in now doing a strong “cobra pose” when he’s awake and curious 
  • His arm movements are a bit less erratic and maybe more deliberate, but I don’t think he quite understands his arms yet
  • He is now enjoying laying on the play mat and looking at the dangling figurines above. Sometimes he hits them with his hands, but I’m still not sure if it’s accidental or not
  • His wake times are lengthening, but his “happy and awake” periods generally don’t last more than 20 minutes
  • His sleep is all over the place, though I’m cautiously optimistic. Last night was better than the previous two - he woke up to eat at 11pm, 3am and then 6:45. He fell asleep quickly after the 11pm, not so quickly after the 3, but at least it wasn’t a two-hour wake period like before. He also annoyingly woke up at 5am, so I stuck a pacifier in his mouth, went downstairs and woke up O to take over while I slept a little more.
  • He still really likes being in the Ergo - that’s his happy place. But I think he slowly becoming more comfortable in the bassinet
  • When he smiles, the world is a happy place.

Now I am just hoping that the brave men and women battling the fires have some success sooner rather than later. I wish I could do something to help right now, other than just donating money, but I feel fairly handicapped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment