Friday, August 14, 2020

Arts and crafts


I used to love crafting as a little kid. I loved drawing, cutting, gluing and coming up with new project ideas. I especially loved sewing. As a teenager in the US, I got the sense that these activities were "uncool". Ever since then, I've allowed my creativity muscles to atrophy.

Part of the issue is that I have, like many women, convinced myself that I need to always be productive. "Productive" activities generally include the following: paid work, childcare, cooking and cleaning, exercise, sleep (but only a certain amount) and investing in relationships - though this last one is definitely a more recent addition to the "productivity suite". I have a difficult time doing things "just for the sake of doing them" - and that's where crafting fits in. I don't feel that I'm going to advance my career or add much to my family's well-being by sewing or making decorative items, and I can easily buy much better quality versions of whatever I could make myself. That said, I do believe that working on projects "just because" is an important part of a meaningful and happy life, and it's something I do want my children to embrace.

Thankfully M is at an age where play without particular goals IS the goal, and I'm glad that it is forcing me to do some arts and crafts with her. At three years old, she is developing increasing coordination and interest that will allow for more advanced projects. 

My husband decided a few days ago that she should make birthday cards for two of her cousins. She's been learning about colors of the rainbow in preschool, and so we settled on featuring "rainbow cake" on each card. I cut out strips of colored paper, quizzed M on the order of the colors, and she helped me glue them. Then she drew the candles on top. The "design" was borrowed from a card that we purchased, so I can't say I was very original here, but I found this to be an easy and fun project to do with a three-year old! 

Up next - handmade Halloween costumers for the family! (haha)

Writing her name in the card

No comments:

Post a Comment