Saturday, October 5, 2019

Working through respiratory infections

I was sick this past week due to continued bronchitis and then a cold that seems to have developed on top of it, so this week's happenings have been influenced by my health.


Self
I've been sleeping enough this past week, mostly. Except for the one night I went to the AMAZING Vampire Weekend concert with one of my best friends. I was so excited after that I couldn't fall asleep until 1:30 or maybe even later...and then woke up at 6 or 6:30. Other than that, I've been mostly going to bed before 10 and waking up between 5:45 and 6:30 without an alarm.

I also joined our local health club, which is awesome. It's got so many amenities, though mainly I joined it for the pool, and it has been great. I decided that I didn't want to run with bronchitis, and that swimming would be easier on my lungs. Not sure if that's actually been the case, but it's been enjoyable, and a good break for my IT band and other leg joints/muscles that have been stained by daily running.

I swam on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Ran (very slowly) on Wednesday. And went for a sunny beautiful walk today.

Family
Mostly the usual routines - playing and taking M to preschool in the morning, spending time in the evenings. My mom blessedly decided to pick M up from daycare and take her to their place (about 45 minutes away) mid-day Saturday. I picked up M around 11:20, played with her for about 30 minutes, and then Baba showed up. M was very excited, as usual. It's Saturday afternoon, and she's been hanging out over there since Thursday. O and I have been able to rest and get things done around the house.

Trying on Abba's slippies




Work
It's the start of the new fiscal year at work, and this week has largely consisted of planning for next year. I've been reading Deep Work by Cal Newport and really trying to incorporate his practices into my day. I've had a little bit of success so far, but I'm hoping to make it a regular practice, and it will hopefully become a little easier and a lot more fruitful over time.

The plan for tonight is drive to my parents' place for dinner and bedtime with M, spend the night, and drive back tomorrow morning with a stop to meet a friend and former boss for coffee.

Cooking for the week
This Chicken Stew, found through LagLiv - link to her recipe for last week's chicken stew!

Fingers crossed, I'll be over this stupid cough by Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment