Saturday, October 5, 2019

Building a wardrobe



I think I have finally settled on a general "philosophy" for selecting and purchasing clothes (though a discussion about my relationship with clothes and shopping requires a much longer post).

I only want items that meet the overall overarching requirement: they make getting dressed and out the house easier - mostly for the office, but also for workouts, casual weekend days, going out, and events that require more formal clothing.

A few additional requirements:

  • Comfortable throughout the day (not too tight, easy to layer, not itchy)
  • Flattering (NO brown sweaters or skinny white jeans)
  • Current and reasonably stylish
  • Will last for at least a couple of years (not weird trends, like those cold-shoulder tops)
These aren't easy requirements to meet, and ensuring that my wardrobe contains only clothes that pass this screening will require discipline and thought. And patience. But hopefully applying them will keep my from agonizing over items that are "maybes" (like the cute Madewell leather jacket I recently tried on that had a horrible chemical smell and was a little too short). Or even worse, deciding to keep "maybe" items and then never wearing them (like the beautiful but itchy DVF coat I bought form $200 last year at a consignment store).

Anyway, here is a reasonably complete list of items I'm currently seeking. I work for a business casual office that leans more toward the casual side.

  • Mid-color jeans (my favorite ones are close to getting holes in them)
  • Olive skinny jeans
  • Pointy-toe flats
  • Cardigans
  • Blazer-ish jackets
  • Sweaters
  • Button-down shirts
  • Leather jacket (not sure still if I should choose "vegan" leather instead)
  • Another pair of skinny or straight black pants

I'm going to keep this list in mind as I shop (or do Trunk Club/Stitch Fix) this fall.




No comments:

Post a Comment