Friday, October 25, 2019

Another Fall week down!



Like most weeks, this one has had some good times and frustrating times.

Highs

- My sinus infection is finally under control, as are a couple of other minor, but annoying health issues. While I'm not 100% back, I'm no longer in danger of becoming addicted to Afrin.

- I just began listening to a really engrossing book, the Queen of Hearts by Kimmery Martin. Which I learned about from an old Best of Both Words interview with the author. The audiobook version was available immediately through Libby, but I had to put a hold on the e-book version. I'm about three chapters in, and I'm loving it so far!

- M has been sweet and affectionate. She just keeps developing, constructing new types of sentences, understanding new concepts. She also has been enjoying listening to "Peter and the Wolf" at mealtimes. I found a version narrated by David Bowie on Spotify...makes me feel a little more hip as I cater to a little human's food preferences (something that, of course, I swore I'd never do).

- My work schedule has been super flexible, which is such a blessing when you are sick.

- Getting enough sleep!

- Beautiful summery weather (though this one is double-sided)

- Living a seven-minute walk away from a hospital. Oh my, it is so convenient sometimes! I had to go three times in the last two weeks - twice for my own issues, and once to immunize M against the flu. Turned out that they have a Flu Clinic - had I known, I would've skipped my own trip to Walgreen's.

- Getting just a bit of running in despite feeling unwell...I was told that it would help open up the sinuses. And I think it helped.

From a late morning run


Lows

- I felt like $%!# for at more than half the week (after already being sick for a month), and definitely threw some mini pity parties for myself. I literally had to talk to myself out loud one evening to force myself to focus on all the positives in my life.

- Work has been meh. I didn't accomplish nearly as much as I wanted, partially because of my health, but also because of some bureaucratic challenges.

- The beautiful summery weather has resulted in more wildfires in California. Sadly (but predictably) it's becoming an annual occurrence due to climate change effects. And yet, we are still flying more than ever, buying SUVs and thinking that climate change is a problem for our kids to deal with.


I used to write in my journal and regularly evaluate each day. As in, "today was a good day" and "today was a bad day". Not sure if it's getting older or maybe my mindfulness "practice" having a small effect, but now I realize that it's almost never this simple. And certainly even more complicated when it comes to full weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment