Friday, October 25, 2019

Favorite shoes for Flinstone feet



I hate my feet. Well, I love them for all they do - enable me to walk, run and kick a hypothetical attacker (which reminds me, I should sign up for a self-defense class). But I absolutely detest how they look. I was actually OK with them until college, when a friend said, "Wow, look at how huge your toes are!" Some time later, I was attending an "All-staff" meeting for a weird college job I had, and for some reason a guy stated in front of everyone that big feet are a turn-off for him. And that was before I started running hundreds of miles a year, developed bunions and ruined my little toes to the point that my husband refers to them as something from an alien movie. Oh - and my size is 10.5. Wide. With narrow heels. 

Shoe shopping is not fun for me. I have a long list of shoes that just don't work.
  1. Any brand/style that doesn't come in a size larger than size 10 - and there are quite a few!
  2. Annoyingly, many brands produce a size 10 and a size 11, but will skip 10.5. However, the size 11 is almost always too long and causes my heels to slip out. Sometimes this foot petal product can help, but usually it's no luck.
  3. Many styles are just too narrow, particularly pointed-toe styles styles that squish my toes like crazy. The middle of my foot also frequently "overflows" some of the more open flats and sandals.
  4. I feel self-conscious wearing sandals that don't mask my bunions. So cute styles like this one don't work.
  5. I can't wear shoes that aren't lined with leather because the "manmade materials" lining makes my feet sweaty and uncomfortable.
  6. Mostly I wear flats - my commute often involves a lot of walking, and I just can't lug a pair of heels with me in addition to all my other items - laptop, notebooks, lunch, water, etc. etc.
Thankfully, there is Cole Haan! Most of my favorite shoes have been from this brand. And the Tali Bow Ballet Flat in snake print is the best of them! I first discovered them two years ago, and have been devoted ever since. I just recently received my third pair because Cole Haan was having a sale on their website and I'm worried that these will be discontinued. They are very comfortable, go with everything, good for the business casual office, and don't show dirt/scuffs easily. And I'm far from an authority on style, but to me they are cute. Are they going to win a "fashion visionary" award? Doubtful.  But do they make it easier to dress for work and then go about my day? A hundred times yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment