Thursday, May 30, 2024

Memorial Day weekend


We had an active weekend, even though it was relatively cold and pretty windy. Low 50s on Saturday and low 60s Sunday and Monday. 

On Saturday, we drove to Berkeley to visit my husband's and my alma mater. We also both got our Master's degrees from there, I'm not sure what the term for that is. I think alma mater just applies to undergrad.

Anyway, we started at the Downtown Berkeley farmers' market, which was a weird as I remember it. This surprised me because Berkeley has become more and more "upscale" in the last 10-20 years. Perhaps this is because the school year is over, summer school hasn't started yet, and many of the wealthier residents were out of town for the long weekend. In any case, we bought a couple of pastries (which the kids rejected), and Y became obsessed with getting cherries (which we didn't buy because we didn't want to carry them around, and we need to pit cherries before giving them to the kids).

We walked through the campus to the Campanile, the big tower in the middle, and even got to go to the top. The kids rode their scooters, even uphill, and I was impressed with Y's stamina. Then we went back down and had lunch at Triple Rock Brewery, which I visited many times in college and after without realizing it was apparently only the 5th brewpub in all of the U.S.! I'm not sure what defines a "brewpub", perhaps I will research that another day.


On Sunday, I took the kids to Sports Basement to find wetsuits. Not for surfing, but for swimming in the cold pools around where we live. We live in a very windy area, and the afternoons often aren't warm until August or even September/October. And the pools are heated, but a couple fewer degrees than I would like. 

To take advantage of the pool at our gym and the pool where the kids take lessons, I decided to buy them short wetsuits. Unfortunately, SB only had the full-length versions, but I at least tried them on for size and then ordered online. But the kiddos looked adorable, and we bought some crocs and water/outdoor toys. So the trip wasn't for nothing. Then we went to the pool at our gym, which was actually not too cold that day, and in the afternoon an adorable friend of Y's came over for a playdate. 


On Monday, Memorial Day, we went to our gym pool again and met u with friends. M swam very well, she's 95% to being water safe at this point, I would say, but she got really cold. The pic is of her in my old high school swim parka, warming up. The kids ran around with friends and had a lot of fun. 



Here's a random photo of O and Y doing stretching or push-ups or something like that. I think that's from Monday morning. I ran on Saturday and did stationary cycling with Bakari on Sunday and Monday. And like 10 minutes of upper body strength, but that's a lot better than nothing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment