Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Life with a two-week-old



I have come out on the other side of pregnancy! Our beautiful son Baby Y was born on June 16th at 3am, a week ahead of his due date and after a fast 8-hour labor.

We've been adjusting to life with "kids", including the new baby. Oh, and during a pandemic that appears to be getting worse by the day. But I won't focus on that now.

I definitely felt like my heart was split open for a week or more after Y was born. Just feeling an overwhelming amount of love for everyone, and also anxiety about something bad happening to the people I love. I also had this overwhelming sense that I'm so incredibly lucky, and that my kids are so lucky to have all the privileges that we were born into. While those thoughts are generally good, it was a little too much of a good thing, but my hormones are calming down.

I believe I've learned some things during and since my first postpartum period that will help manage this one:

  • I have become a much better napper, and now I'm pretty good about lying down and at least resting, even though I still hate napping
  • Breastfeeding is easier this time because I generally know what I'm doing...it was a struggle for at least the first 6-8 weeks with M
  • I'm not worried about "losing my identity" or anything like that - I know that the postpartum period is temporary and that what comes after it is just wonderful
  • I'm reminding myself to savor this little newborn nugget because this will be my last one! This is more difficult to do when he's crying, but to me he's awfully cute no matter what


Speaking of crying, Y's big sister M had terrible colic starting three weeks old, and I'm worried that he will, too. So far he's been mostly cooperative, but I wouldn't call him an "easy" baby, and he does get gassy and fussy while nursing. M screamed bloody murder during each feeding for a few weeks, and I really hope we're not heading that way with Y, but maybe we're more prepared?

Overall, I'm so happy and fortunate that we get to have two little people in our family. They are definitely the light of my life...and on that note, the little guy is grunting and waking up to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment